Summer surprises

This week I have made several new discoveries:
1) That I enjoy drinking Coca-cola. - Yes, I know I'm a little late, but at least I'm there!
2) That weather really does improve your mood. (Does anyone else feel more hopeful and happier when the sun is shining?)
3) That I don't like vegetable juices.

The last one is an interesting one. I am by no means a picky eater; in fact, I would find it difficult to name a food that I dislike! But somehow, vegetable juices just don't do it for me.

I would love to be the type of person who can whizz up a carrot, celery and ginger juice and bike down to their early-morning Pilates class, after which they'd have a low fat bagel and a fruit salad. But as much as I wish it to be true, it isn't. I think I'm much more like Miranda Hart - "I don't want to be friends with someone who jogs! Go and have a burger!" (No offence to people who jog - I admire you, for I've tried many times to get into running but I just can't!)

In an attempt to eat healthily yesterday, I searched Pinterest for a simple-looking, tasty-sounding smoothie. My final choice was something similar to Joy the Baker's Green Smoothie, with apple, celery, cucumber and ginger (omitting the kale simply because I didn't have any in the cupboards). Sounds nice, you say? I thought so too.



I tweaked around with the recipe a little, and used a hand-held blender to whizz up the fruit and veg. After adding a little bit of ginger, carefully pouring it into a glass and choosing a straw to co-ordinate with the colours (I know, I'm that sad), I took a first tentative sip. 

Hmm, I said to myself. It doesn't taste too bad, but it's not brilliant. Maybe it's one of those things that you grow accustomed to after a couple of sips? 

…. Nope. After I'd drunk half of the smoothie, the glass was set aside and a mental note made: Emma does not like vegetable juices. 

If you want the recipe, give me an email - I'm sure you'd like it if you're into that sort of thing. 
Do you have any favourite juicing recipes or tips? I'd love to hear them! 





Comments