Wimbledon-style cupcakes

Yes, I know that Wimbledon is well and truly over. I know that we're more than half-way through summer now, and that the strawberries are getting a little bit sad in their plastic boxes. So here's a way to use them up! 



I've recreated the famous strawberries and cream dessert in the form of a cupcake. At first I thought of putting whipped cream on top instead of buttercream - and you could do that if you really wished - but these cupcakes will go off quickly enough with the fruit in them. (Believe me, there have been several occasions where I've made fruit/vegetable muffins, only to find that five days later they have grown a lovely green-blue fur.) I only baked 5 cupcakes because it was an experiment for me and I didn't want to waste my ingredients! I've scaled up the recipe to make a more respectable 10 or 12 cupcakes instead. 

Whilst I was making these I realised that despite being able to bake, I am not a natural cake decorator. My first attempt at icing was average - and it only proceeded to get worse from there. Hopefully with some practice I'll be able to pipe beautiful, smooth swirls of icing; check back in about ten years! (If you have any tips on how to ice cakes and the like, do leave a comment.) One alternative - as I saw in Costa Coffee the other day - is to pile the icing on with a spoon and make it look as rugged as possible. It's up to you! 

Light vanilla sponge with pieces of strawberry baked inside, topped with creamy vanilla frosting and a fresh strawberry. Fresh, fruity and oh-so-summery. 


An all-in-one sponge with a little bit of vanilla extract. 



Chopped strawberries - the stars of the show!



Fill the liners two-thirds of the way up - no more or else you'll have a muffin top on your hands!



The strawberries will moisten the mixture, so don't be worried if they take a little longer to bake than usual. Ensure that they're golden on top and spring back when touched before taking them out of the oven. 

Whip up the icing whilst they're cooling and pipe it on top in your prettiest design. 



Bear Grylls Cupcake! - rugged and a little bit less refined. 



Break it open and let the sweet strawberry fragrance fill your nose. 





Strawberry Vanilla Cupcakes (makes 10-12)
Cupcakes
Approximately 10 small strawberries, hulled and quartered
115g soft margarine (or butter, your choice)
115g golden caster sugar
115g self-raising flour
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Buttercream
280g icing sugar
175g butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

10 - 12 small strawberries to decorate

1. Heat the oven to 180°C. Using a mixer or by hand, mix the margarine. caster sugar, flour and eggs until well combined. Add in the vanilla extract and mix again. (You may need to add more flour if it begins to curdle.) Stir in the strawberries gently with a spoon.

2. Spoon into bun cases in a bun tray. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or more until golden. Leave on a rack to cool.

3. Make the buttercream - beat the icing sugar with the butter until soft, pale and creamy. Mix in the vanilla extract. 

4. Ice the cupcakes in whatever way please you. Top with a strawberry and serve on pretty china with a cup of tea!



Comments

  1. Your cupcake is so cute, so delicate, and yes, I love the strawberries in it...
    Nice meeting you Emma, and thank you so much for stopping by...hope you are having a wonderful week :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I read all your comments and treasure each one. Drop me a line and I"ll check out your blog, too! x