Sour Cherries and Ice-Cream

One of the things I love about eating out is being able to discover new tastes and flavours.In the past few weeks I've attempted to recreate a few of the dishes I've had in restaurants over the last year and so far, so good. 

Here's a recipe. So simple yet so satisfying! Cherries and Ice-cream, alla Carluccio (yes, I can speak languages other than French!). It's not quite a sundae - I don't have the proper glasses and there isn't quite enough cream - but the basic principle is the same. 



This recipe uses more of those sour cherries (griottes) I talked about in my tart post. It's easy and only takes about half an hour in total - and you barely have to do a thing during that time. 



Cherries.



Mix the syrup the cherries came in with a little water and reduce over a low heat.



Ice-cream, check. Cherries, check. Syrup, check. 

It's really that easy!

If you're feeling particularly adventurous you could make your own ice-cream. I (unfortunately) don't have a machine of my own yet and I was feeling a bit lazy so I just picked up a tub from the supermarket. Make sure you choose a good-quality one, though! Not any of the soft-serve stuff; you want proper, full-cream vanilla. 

Sour Cherries and Ice-cream 
Sour cherries
Sour cherry syrup (from the jar) 
A little sugar
Good quality vanilla ice-cream

1. Pour the syrup into a saucepan with about a teaspoon of sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the syrup has cooked down and become more sauce-like and sticky. You may need to add more sugar. 

2. Serve with the sour cherries on top of the ice-cream. Add a little wafer or an amaretti biscuit if you like! 



*I haven't given specific measurements because this recipe is very adaptable to the number of people you wish to serve. Judge by eye and appetite!*

Comments