A love of Literature

Have I ever told you how much I love reading? 



My house is filled with books. There are bookcases in all of the bedrooms, bookcases in the living room, a bookcase in the kitchen, a huge wall of books in Dad's study... I'd never thought about how many we had until a guest remarked on it one day! 

Ever since I was born, reading has been a huge part of my life. Mum and Dad would take us on the weekly trip to the library where my sister and I would stock up on our favourite picture books. Apparently we sometimes had to be dragged away!



I can remember eagerly awaiting bedtime because Mum would read another chapter of 'The Faraway Tree' to us. We'd gasp when the Tree became sick, lick our lips at tales of tasty treats and laugh out loud when the Saucepan Man threw all of his saucepans away. (Don't judge. I was five years old.)

Saturday mornings had a routine. Gymnastics at 9:30 for an hour, then off to the library to pick out eight books that had to do us for the week. I'd spend the rest of the day curled up in an armchair, reading at least one of my new books from beginning to end, and sometimes finishing a second one too. 

I can vividly remember bringing Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix into class when I was seven years old, and sneaking it under the desk to read whenever I'd finished all of my work. I admired Hermione, the clever witch who didn't let a head of uncontrollable hair stop her (something I try to remember) and I had my favourites in the form of Sirius, Fred and Dumbledore. 
(Looking back, maybe I shouldn't have picked favourites....)
Harry Potter was the book of my childhood. I whizzed through the first three books several times and then waited for Mum to read each new book before I could get my hands on it. I actually remember sneaking into my parents' room after I'd gone to bed, removing the Goblet of Fire and reading it under torchlight, hurriedly replacing it back by their bed when I heard they were coming upstairs. 



As I grew up I began to read more classic novels. Northanger Abbey on holidays in France. The Three Musketeers when I was eleven, Tess of the D'Urbervilles at twelve. And my love for classics has continued up until this day! Recently I've become more interested in modern classics as well, and have been slowly working my way through American novels such as To Kill A Mockingbird, The Grapes of Wrath and On the Road

I will read anything. A bit of romance here, some crime there, sprinkled with dystopian fiction and topped with an historical novel or two. I'm so grateful that I've had the opportunity to immerse myself in books; that I am able to escape into the fantasy world of Middle Earth when I've had a bad day; that I can fall in love with beautiful boys without going through the turmoil of heartbreak myself. I am forever indebted to the P1 teacher who taught me my letters, and, of course, to my parents and grandparents who taxied us to the library faithfully each week. 



After this rather long-winded post, it will come as no surprise to you to say that I intend to write several book reviews about what I've been reading each month. I would really love to hear what you've been reading as well - and whether or not you agree with my opinions! Stay tuned for my first review...


All pics from this board.

Comments

  1. This is the best idea! I can't wait to read your reviews, I hope we end up reading some of the same material. You are a beautiful writer. I think all readers can relate to your devouring of books as a child...I remember vividly the rule I had to have repeated to me almost every day "No Books at the Dinner Table."

    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog for a read! I'm glad you did, I can't wait to follow your posts!

    The What's In Between

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw Zoe, your comment warms my heart! Thank you so much! Haha we still have that rule although I"m allowed to read at breakfast now :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I read all your comments and treasure each one. Drop me a line and I"ll check out your blog, too! x