The Potted Hen

I may have just found my new favourite restaurant. 

At the end of August we went out for dinner to celebrate my mum's birthday. We went to The Potted Hen in Belfast. It's a restaurant situated in the Cathedral Quarter (somewhere I hadn't been before) and has views of a pretty little square and the back of St Anne's Cathedral. 


I hadn't planned to take photos of the meal but to be honest it was so spectacular that I couldn't help myself. My dad and I actually ended up ordering exactly the same dishes!

The restaurant is large and airy, with long windows for maximum light. It has dark wooden tables and creamy walls, which contrast with the 'industrial' lighting and pipes on the ceiling.

As per usual, we ordered main course and dessert - though I have to say the starters sounded amazing too.

Dad and I had a spring vegetable salad - fragrant fennel, green edame beans and firm broccoli paired with little slices of potato and a lemon vinaigrette. There was also buttery spinach and a little butternut squash purée, which felt very masterchef-esque! It was fresh and felt healthy, and the portion size was perfect. I love my vegetables and this felt like the right sort of meal to say goodbye to summer.


Mum also picked a vegetarian dish - beetroot risotto with feta cheese and walnuts. Earthy, slightly creamy and delicious.


Tender chicken with crispy polenta chips, vine tomatoes and a buttermilk sauce for the sister. I had to sneak a mouthful of it and it was really tasty. 


Next up, dessert.

Thick and creamy pannacotta, punctuated by a delicious cherry compote and lemon curd. It came with a lovely little white chocolate cookie, too, which added a little bit of 'crunch'. Mmm.

Mum choose a raspberry parfait with blackberry 'gel' and granola - lots of berry flavours.



My sister picked chocolate fondant with a little hint of ginger. We had to wait a bit longer for it but she says it was worth it - warm and rich and totally decadent. 





So, have I convinced you to try The Potted Hen yet? I would go back without a second thought. You can find them here; but if hotdogs are more your thing, take a look at 'Hendog' place upstairs for a more informal night out. 

Comments