Happy Easter?

Instagram made Easter stickers.
Facebook offered me some e-cards.
People posted on Twitter wishing me a 'Happy Easter'.

But why? 

Why do we, in a society which seems so keen to separate itself from religion, continue to celebrate a religious festival? Christmas, too, this year, stirred up similar feelings of confusion for me. I understand that for many people, Easter has become synonymous with springtime - a celebration of new life (lambs, chicks and daffodils); a symbol of hope, if you like, after a long, dark winter. Don't get me wrong - I love chocolate eggs, roast lamb and family Easter egg hunts as much as the next girl, but I can't help but feel more than a little bewildered at the prominent position of Easter in a society which rejects so many other aspects of the Christian faith. Just like Christmas, this religious celebration has been seized for commercial gain. Like giant limpets, multi-national companies sensed the potential goldmine of the Easter bunny many years ago and they have been exploiting the occasion ever since. 

For Christians like myself, Easter is one of the best days of the year.
Without Easter, Christianity means nothing. 

Easter brings joy - joy in the knowledge that we were created by a God who loves us; a God who will always forgive us when we ask, even when we do things which hurt Him. He is a God who will go to any lengths to save us. 

He even died. Just for us.

Thanks to Easter we know that, when we die, we do not have to fear death. We are given the opportunity to live with our Creator forever in a place free from sickness, death and hurt. A perfect place, full of love and laughter and light. 

Chocolate eggs are all very well and good, but I'd say that this gift makes them look positively rubbish in comparison.


"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life." John 5:24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjSio8jur2Y

Comments