These past few months in media

After a splurge of posts in January, I'll admit that I have somewhat neglected this blog. (Not my column for the Varsity blog, though!) So, here's a little list to let you know what I have been up to.



TV and Drama
Gilmore Girls (Netflix)
I'm a little bit late to the party with this series, and to be quite honest, I haven't even watched every single episode. Nevertheless, it was a source of evening entertainment last term, and one that I would recommend. The storyline isn't too dramatic, but contains just enough intrigue and comedy moments to keep my interest.

The Shawshank Redemption
I'd been waiting to watch this film for almost five years, ever since we looked at a poster for it in one of my GCSE English classes. It didn't disappoint! It's a story about friendship, perseverance and, most of all, hope. 10/10 would recommend.

The Crown
I started to watch this series with my cousins in Madrid and have continued to do so now that I'm back at uni. (It has replaced the Gilmore Girls-shaped hole in my life.) It has made me really think about all the responsibilities placed on our Queen - not really in terms of decision-making,  but in terms of public pressure and what is the 'right' thing to be seen to be doing, whether it is what she wants to do or not. I have always had tremendous respect for the Queen, and this series has only made me like her more.

Dead Poet's Society
What a classic. I had always intended to watch this film, but hadn't got round to it until this term. It felt a little strange, watching something set in a high school; having just left school this year, the boys in the film seemed incredibly young. It made me feel nostalgic for school days, excited about reading new books, and sad, all at once.

La La Land
I really enjoyed this film, once I got it into my head that it was a strange sort of musical/film hybrid. Beautiful songs, and an unexpected twist at the end.

Call the Midwife (BBC)
I attempted to continue watching this series this term, but I didn't do very well. Still, the episodes I did watch were heartwarming, as per usual.

Books
El Palacio de Medianoche - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Bit of a weird book to list here, but I picked this up before I went on holidays because I recognised the author's name (you might know him as the author of the acclaimed "The Shadow of the Wind"). It's a book for teenagers and it was quite refreshing to read a story that seemed a little bit lighter than the adult novels I have been reading recently, if only because it clearly took place at another time, in a slightly different world.

Belgravia - Julian Fellowes
I bought this with a Waterstones voucher I found hidden away in my purse. I loved Downton Abbey when it was on tv, and this book transported me back into its upper-class English world. It isn't the best book I've read this year, but it was thoroughly enjoyable and was a good choice for the Easter holidays.

Runaway - Alice Munroe
I tried to read a few pages of this book every night last term, and, being composed of short stories, it didn't take me long to get through it. Some of the stories were linked together; many were sad and disappointing, but in that sense, they reflect the ups and downs of everyday life rather well.

Le Chateau de Ma Mère - Marcel Pagnol
I read the first book in this series (La Gloire de Mon Père) last year for my A-Levels and thought I had better finish off the set. This one was easier to read than its predecessor (though perhaps that just means my language has improved since then) and it was equally charming.

Other books on the go (not yet completed) are:
La Peste - Albert Camus
Thrush Green - Miss Reed

As well as numerous texts for my degree, including Lorca's Romancero Gitano (pictured above, from my Instagram).


Comments